|“||For the ones who've found their way home||”|
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Plot
- 2.1 Part I: World in Ruin
- 2.2 Part II: City in Shadow
- 2.3 Part III: Fall or Fight
- 2.4 Part IV: Weapons at Hand
- 2.5 Part V: Ash and Atonement
- 2.6 Part VI: Execution
- 2.7 Part VII: Setting Sail
- 2.8 Part VIII: Uncharted Waters
- 2.9 Part IX: Trouble
- 2.10 Part X: Blood and Binding
- 2.11 Part XI: Death at Sea
- 2.12 Part XII: Betrayal
- 2.13 Part XIII: A King's Place
- 2.14 Part XIV: Antari
- 2.15 Part XV: Anoshe
- 3 Characters
- 4 Collector's Edition
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Witness the fate of beloved heroes—and enemies.
THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.
WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace—but never common—thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.
WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
Part I: World in Ruin
Part II: City in Shadow
Part III: Fall or Fight
Part IV: Weapons at Hand
Part V: Ash and Atonement
Part VI: Execution
Part VII: Setting Sail
Part VIII: Uncharted Waters
Part IX: Trouble
Part X: Blood and Binding
Part XI: Death at Sea
Part XII: Betrayal
Part XIII: A King's Place
Part XIV: Antari
Part XV: Anoshe
- Kell Maresh — The adopted Antari Prince of Arnes. Kell is currently held captive by Osaron in White London after going with Ojka and is tortured by a device which cuts off his magic.
- Rhy Maresh — The Crown Prince of Arnes. As Kell's magic is cut off, Rhy is slowly dying.
- Lila Bard — The Grey-worlder thief. Lila is trying to fix the situation by rescuing Kell.
- Alucard Emery — The Captain of the Night Spire and winner of the Essen Tasch of 1820.
- Maxim Maresh — The King of Arnes.
- Emira Maresh — The Queen of Arnes.
- Tieren Serense — The Aven Essen of the London Sanctuary.
- Calla — A vendor at the Night Market.
- Cora Taskon — A Veskan princess.
- Col Taskon — A Veskan prince.
- Sol-in-Ar — Brother of the King of Faro.
- Hastra — A young guard who was assigned to watch over Kell.
- Lenos — Second-mate of the Night Spire.
- Ned Tuttle — An Enthusiast and owner of the Five Points.
- George IV — The King of the United Kingdom.
- Holland Vosijk — The Antari King of Makt. Osaron has currently taken over his body.
- Osaron — The sentient magic which brought about Black London's fall and now tries to take over Red London.
- Ojka — The messenger. Ojka is an "Antari," artificially created with Osaron's power.
- Main article: A Conjuring of Light (Collector's Edition)
On October 8, 2019, a special collector's edition of A Conjuring of Light was released.
- In the original version of the rooftop scene, more than half the characters were killed. This scene also used to be the original ending of A Gathering of Shadows.
- In February 2021, Illumicrate announced special editions of A Conjuring of Light and A Gathering of Shadows which matched with the special edition of A Darker Shade of Magic they released a year prior.
- "This right here, this is where AGOS originally ended. And maybe you're thinking, okay, but this doesn't seem as cruel. You're wrong. Why? Because in the original version, I killed more than half the cast in this rooftop scene. That's what happens when you don't get enough sleep. People die. I was getting a master's degree at the time, and my editor called me up and told me to take a nap, a really long nap, and then redo it."
(A Conjuring of Light — Kindle notes and highlights)
- "Okay, the ending seems harsh, I know, but I will tell you here what I've told readers at events everywhere. The original ending was worse. Trust me. Don't trust me? Then allow me to say that the original ending was about three chapters longer--or three chapters into ACOL, since it picks up right where this one leaves off, so you better go start that one right now.."
(A Gathering of Shadows — Kindle notes and highlights)
- "We are thrilled to reveal our editions for the rest of Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab, matching the edition of A Darker Shade of Magic from our Illumicrate Collections box"
(Illumicrate on Instagram)
- "A Gathering of Shadows & A Conjuring of Light set (exclusive editions pre-order)" — Illumicrate