Faro is a country in Red London's world.
Faroans have ornaments—glass, precious gems, slivers, etc.—set into their skin which fall off upon the wearer's death. The number of ornaments a Faroan wears is a signifier of their status, and a teardrop on someone's forehead and above their eyebrows marks the bearer as royalty. Whether or not the color of the ornaments hold any significance is unknown. Furthermore, ranking Faroans are clean-shaven.
The official language of Faro is Faroan.
Phrases and sayings
- Amun Shahar
- Hasanal rasnavoras ahas. — Your presence honors our kingdom.
- Sasors noran amurs. — Good morning, to all who have gathered.
Faro is ruled by a dynasty whose name is unknown so far. The emblem of this house is a black tree, specifically a Faroan birch which is said to have medicinal and magical properties. Unlike regular monarchies, Faroan priests decide the next sovereign from the eligible royal candidates, choosing them on the basis of their magic level.
- Unnamed king
- Lord Sol-in-Ar — regent of the current king and commander of the Faroan fleet
- A Darker Shade of Magic, X: One White Rook, IV
- "The Arnesian empire is essentially the top half of Europe, over to Poland. The Veskan empire is Scandinavia over through Eastern Russia. The Faroan Empire is the southern half of Europe through Northern Africa. Beyond that, other empires, other stories."
(V. E. Schwab on Twitter)
- A Gathering of Shadows, V: Royal Welcome, I
- A Gathering of Shadows, V: Royal Welcome, IV
- A Gathering of Shadows, IX: Collision Course, IV
- A Gathering of Shadows, X: Catastrophe, VI
- A Gathering of Shadows, VIII: The Essen Tasch, II
- A Gathering of Shadows, VIII: The Essen Tasch, IV
|Ol-ran-Es • Ost-ra-Gal • Sol-in-Ar • Tas-on-Mir • Tos-on-Mir • Ver-as-Is|