|This article is not yet finished because it deals with material that is yet to be released. As such, some of the information might be inaccurate and is likely to change when new information becomes available.|
It was be released in four issues before being published as a bind-up copy. The issues came out every month from October 2018 to January 2019, and the bind-up will be released in March 2019.
The comic will delve into the thrilling backstory of Kell's adoptive father, prince Maxim Maresh, before he became the king of Red London. When Maresh is sent to a violent and unmanageable port city far away to cut his military teeth on strict orders from his father, King Nokil Maresh, he encounters an unruly band of soldiers, a lawless landscape, and a newly returned pirate queen.
In Titan's new Shades of Magic: The Steel Prince series, young and unruly Prince Maxim of Red London is sent to the lawless city of Verose after disobeying the King. Little does he know that a fate worse than exile awaits him on the Blood Coast...
|1||Issue 1||July 2018 (preview)|
October 10, 2018
|07447068266000111||32||$ 5.00 (preview)|
|In a gaslamp world where magicians navigate alternate realities, Prince Maxim pursues a dark version of his beloved Red London. Banished from court, he refuses to surrender his quest – and faces worse than exile!|
|2||Issue 2||November 14, 2018||07447068266000211||32||$ 3.99|
|Harried by assassins and secrets, banished for his pursuit of a forbidden alternate London, the Red Prince Maxim finds himself in the court of the Pirate Queen of the Blood Coast!|
|3||Issue 3||December 12, 2018||07447068266000311||32||$ 3.99|
|Prince Maxim, heir to Red London, is short on allies—but he'd have to be desperate to join forces with the Pirate Queen of the Blood Coast! Will he find the magic he seeks, the key to a forbidden reality—or discover only disaster?|
|4||Issue 4||January 16, 2019||07447068266000411||32||$ 3.99|
|Prince Maxim at last claims the title of The Steel Prince, in the climax to New York Times bestseller V.E. Schwab's new story set in the world of her acclaimed gaslamp fantasy novel series, Shades of Magic!|
- Maxim Maresh — The Crown Prince of Arnes, also known as the Steel Prince. He is sent to the Blood Coast by his father.
- Nokil Maresh — The King of Arnes.
- Tieren Serense — Head Priest of the London Sanctuary.
- Isra — A soldier stationed at the Blood Coast.
- Arisa — The Pirate Queen. She has just returned to the Blood Coast.
- The full first issue will have four different covers—one official and three variant covers.
- The B&N exclusive edition includes commentary from V.E. Schwab, character sketches, and notes detailing the comic's formation process from script to art.